

Well, I have made Pie for the first time and to my surprise it turned out fantastic... Thanks for a friend for the recipe, I always thought Leeks were a disgusting vegetable but I now stand corrected!!
Here is the recipe for this wonderful, easy dinner/lunch and if your 6yrs old Breakfast lol...
EGG, LEEK & BACON PIE
shortcrust pastry (I used Puff...mmmm)
2 large leeks White part only (or 2 large onions) roughly chopped
8 large rashers bacon finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley (I didn't have any so used Mixed herbs from a bottle)
1 tablespoon snipped chives
11 eggs
1/2 cup milk / cream
ground nutmeg to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water/milk for glaze
~ to cook leeks, put them in microwave proof dish, partially cover with lid or plastic wrap & microwave on high 2-3mins until just tender. leave them to cool
~ fry bacon over medium heat until pale golden then scoop into a bowl & leave to cool
~ pre-heat oven 190c. Line a 24 or 26cm tart tin with removable base (I used DH's springform cake tin lol)
~ line with your pastry leaving a little hanging over the edges
~ scatter cooled leeks and most of the bacon over the base of pastry, sprinkle just half of the herbs evenly over the top
~ break 10 of the eggs, one at a time, into a cup then slide each on into the pastry case being careful not to break the yolks (don't worry if you do) carefully scatter the remaining bacon and herbs over the top of the eggs
~ whisk together remaining egg together with milk then drizzle over top, sprinkly on nutmeg & pepper
~ dampen edges of pastry with little water & drape pastry lid on pie. Using fingers press pastry lid and base together to seal edges. Use sharp knife to trim away the over hang.
~ use pastry scraps tomake leaf decorations for the top of the pie. Don't forget the steam holes in top of pie. Brush with egg glaze.
~ Bake for 50-55 mins or until the pie is golden & smells wonderful. Sit on wire rack to cool before removing from tin...
mmmmmmmmm enjoy......oh and you can freeze this, which is good for work lunches. Just ask DH lol
1 comment:
It looks very nice. Will have to try it. I made chicken and vegetable pie last night, but it didn't look as professional as this one!
Post a Comment